This glaze works great with beef and turkey, or any meat really, and will compliment any Memorial Day BBQ spread.
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 large vidalia onion, minced
- 1.5 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2.5 Valencia oranges
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Jameson Irish Whiskey (or any whiskey of your choosing)
- Caster sugar (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier (Optional)
- Place minced shallots, onions and garlic in 1/4 cup olive oil, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup water on a skillet, and cook on high heat heat until the vegetables are brown and well caramelized, about 25 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add brown sugar to the onion mixture.
- When the sugar melts, mix into the onions.
- Taste, and add more brown sugar if a sweetness isn't detected
- Remove mixture from heat and allow to cool.
- Add the juice from 2 1/2 oranges
- Place in blender, and puree until there are no chunks.
- Add whiskey and Grand Marnier.
- Taste to ensure that the whiskey flavor is present. If not to your liking, add more.
- Add a tablespoon of caster sugar if mixture doesn't have enough sweetness, and repeat. Caster sugar is another name for super fine sugar, and will dissolve more quickly than regular granulated sugar.
- Enjoy warm or cold. The glaze will last for 3 -4 days in the fridge.