Campfire-Toasted Marshmallow FrostingWritten by Jamie on October 28, 2014
I N G R E D I E N T S
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
D I R E C T I O N S
- Fill a medium saucepan with 1 inch of water and bring it to a simmer over medium heat.
- Place the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar, and salt in the clean bowl of a stand mixer and whisk by hand to combine.
- Nest the bowl over the saucepan, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water.
- Heat the egg white mixture, whisking constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot to the touch (about 120°F on an instant-read thermometer), about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the bowl to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Turn the mixer to medium and whisk for 1 minute. Increase the speed to high and whisk until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 5 minutes more. Add the vanilla and whisk until just incorporated, about 1 minute.
- Pipe the frosting on the cupcakes or whatever, and let them chill for at least 30 minutes to set the frosting a bit. FInally, use a kitchen torch to lightly brûlée the edges.
L I N K A G E