My good friend Jodie is a huge fan of Cordial Cherries. For his birthday, I decided to embark on a journey to create a Cordial Cherry macaron tasting for him. "Why the heck not?", I thought. Welcome to part 1! In this recipe, we will create cherry macarons that are light, delicious, memorable, and not a diabolical threat to your waistline.
On a side note, freeze dried cherries are not the easiest ingredient to find at a local store. I bought them at Fairway Market in Woodland Park, NJ. If you have trouble finding them, on-line stores might be your best bet.
- 2 tbsp water
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2/3 c ground almonds or almond meal
- 1 1/2 cup Organic powdered sugar
- 3 large egg whites, room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp freeze dried cherry powder, ground in food processor, plus a few extra cherries chopped in large chunks for decoration
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Make the Cherry Curd recipe at least one day ahead of time and refrigerate.
Follow the recipe for Blueberry Macarons
- Substitute cherries for the blueberries.
- Sprinkle the large chunks of cherries on top before placing cookies in the oven.
- Use the cherry curd instead of the meyer lemon curd