Raspberry Pastry CreamWritten by Jamie on August 12, 2012
Here is a recipe for a delicious pastry cream that will compliment almost any dessert with absolute deliciousness. This recipe makes about 3 cups of pastry cream.
- 2 cups half and half
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 6 oz boxes of fresh raspberries or 10 oz frozen bag
- Process raspberries into a puree
- Puree in the blender
- Strain the puree to remove the seeds
- The recipe needs 1 cup of puree
- In a small saucepan:
- Warm the half and half over low heat until it is just hot enough to steam.
- In another bowl:
- Whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, flour, and cornstarch until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Once the half and half is steaming, add half of it, whisking constantly, to the egg mixture.
- Add the milk and eggs back into the hot milk
- Continue stirring, and heat it for 1-2 minutes, until the custard reaches 170F on a digital thermometer and is very thick.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the raspberry puree.
- Chill the cream prior to using, preferably overnight
- Place parchment or wax paper over the top to prevent a "pudding skin" from forming.