Paella and Low Carb Paella SaladWritten by Jamie on January 08, 2012
After an exhilarating New Years Eve with Phish, a hearty, healthy meal was in order. My freezer happened to have a pound of wild shrimp, and lobster tails were on sale. Paella became our New Year's Day destiny. I used a recipe by Tyler Florence, and substituted brown rice and fresh tomatoes and bell peppers. The recipe came out fantastic!
In addition to Paella, I also created a low carb Paella Salad, using baby spinach, minced parsley, ground pepper and the different proteins in the paella. A small side of rice is included on the side.
- Spice Mix for chicken
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 (3-pound) frying chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Turkey chorizo sausages, thickly sliced (purchased at Whole Foods)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 Bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- Bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, reserve some for garnish
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups short grain Brown rice
- 6 cups water, warm
- Generous pinch saffron threads
- 1 dozen littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 2 lobster tails
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Large Paella pan or wide skillet
DIRECTIONS FOR SPICE MIX FOR CHICKEN
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub the spice mixture all over the chicken; marinate for 1 hour, covered
DIRECTIONS FOR PAELLA
- Rub the spice mix all over the chicken and marinate chicken for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Heat oil in a paella pan over medium-high heat.
- Saute the chorizo until browned, remove and reserve.
- Add chicken skin-side down and brown on all sides, turning with tongs.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Remove from pan and reserve.
- In the same pan, saute the onions, garlic, and parsley.
- Cook for 2 - 3 minutes on a medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and tomatoes, and cook until the mixture caramelizes a bit and the flavors meld.
- Fold in the rice and stir-fry to coat the grains.
- Pour in water and simmer for 10 minutes, gently moving the pan around so the rice cooks evenly and absorbs the liquid.
- Add chicken, chorizo, and saffron.
- Add the clams and shrimp, tucking them into the rice. The shrimp will take about 8 minutes to cook.
- Give the paella a good shake and let it simmer, without stirring, until the rice is al dente, for about 15 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, when the rice is filling the pan, add the lobster tails.
- When the paella is cooked and the rice looks fluffy and moist, turn the heat up for 40 seconds until you can smell the rice toast at the bottom, then it's perfect.
- Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with parsley and lemon wedges.