Bowtie wearers can sometimes seem a bit too formal. Sometimes they can appear silly (think pee-wee). Sometimes indimidating (think Louis Farakhan). Sometims thought provoking (think C.Everett Koop). Sometimes annoying (think Tucker Carlson). As diverse as it's wearers are, the bowtie pasta (farfalle) is universal in it's appeal. It's a great alternative to penne, or rigatoni, when you want to eat your pasta with just a fork (no twirling involved). It's also great for kids because for some reason, they love the idea of eating bowties.
This is a simple recipe with only a few ingredients:
- farfalle pasta - 1 pound
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- one larg zuccini quartered and cut in small pieces
- one red pepper - chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic
- fresh mozarella and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Heat large pot of water (with some salt)
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat with red pepper flakes
- Add zuccini - cook for 5 minutes
- Add red pepper - cook for 5 minutes
- Add garlic
- Add salt and pepper to taste
- Continue cooking sauce as water boils
- If sauce seems dry- add some water from pasta pot
- When water boils add pasta - cook according to instructions- usually 11 minutes.
- Reserver half a cup of pasta water in case you need it for sauce
- Drain pasta into large bowl and stir in sauce.
- Add reserved pasta water if necessary and salt and pepper to taste
- Serve in bowls with mozarella, Parmigiano-Reggiano and shredded basil
enjoy-- and the next time you have pee-wee, Louis, C.Everett, and Tucker over for dinner, make a meal that they can all enjoy!!