Green Beans with Garlic, Red Onion, and MintWritten by CMP on September 29, 2008
The plan was to make these beans with tomato and fresh mint. Then when my guests arrived I found out one of them couldn't have tomatoes. Faced with either telling the guest to please go home or improvising, I chose to be the gracious host.
I was quite happy with the resulting dish AND nobody got angry with me. It was a good day.
- 1 Lb of Green Beans, ends trimmed off
- 3 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4-5 Cloves of Garlic, cut into rough chop
- 1/2 of a Red Onion, cut into long slivers
- 1/2 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 12-15 Fresh Mint Leaves, chopped
Put the olive oil, salt, and garlic in a large, cold saute pan and place over high heat. Just as the garlic begins to sizzle, add the onions and cook for 1 minute more. Then add the green beans and orange juice, reduce heat to medium, and cover the pan. Cook for about 5-6 minutes more (covered), then remove the cover and cook for another minute.
Mix in the fresh mint and black pepper and serve.